Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pakistan - A Developed Nation - Year 2035

Dear Friends,

The following is an account of what I imagine our country to be developed into. It may be a little far fetched and fictitious, but maybe if we as individuals work hard then we are ready for a future like this. Your comments are welcomed.

Rgrds,

Faisal Naik

______________________________________________________________________________

Year 2035, January the 18th, 1840hrs.

I look below the entire vast of population. Cant see a single piece of land not covered by mounting Skyscrapers. As the air-cab maneuvers itself through the skyline - thick dark clouds hovering yet again. Global climatic changes have brought changes to Pakistan’s weather as well, with very few days without rain in the coastal line of Karachi.

I realise I am already late by 10 minutes for conference highlighting Pakistan’s steady growth from developing to a fully developed state. I wonder if Wali Zahid has already started presenting his speech. A split second later the cab pilot descends infront of the 60 storey Hotel Marriot towering over the Karachi Sealine. I press my thumb on the thumb screen and punch in the pin code.. “Rs. 100 charged, Thank you Mr. Naik..”, the semi robotic voice blurts. The door opens and i quickly move towards the entrance.

There is a blip on my handheld - its my colleague asking my whereabouts… “Welcome to the Conference , Naik saheb“, says the organizer. “Its on the 59th, This way please..” He directs me to the elevator. Within a few seconds i reach the floor and enter the hall. Wali is about to start his speech. ”wonderful”, I said to myself and sat within the sight of Wali saheb.

Wali started off with the events of the early century, the supremacy of Americans and how their downfall came at the hands of few Muslim states in the early 2015. “I never believed this to be happening..” He goes, adjusting his glasses, ” I still remember discussing the Super power life cycle to class of students at a Management institute, guess it was 2006, no.. 2005, maybe it was 2006. We did a project called “Project Readiness - Pakistan to become a developed country by 2030″

Half an hour into the session and it brought back sweet old memories of the University life and the friends around. Suddenly my handheld started blipping again, “Oh no, not at this time” It was a call from my shift engineer. “The system is going into overload”. It had been raining pretty heavily for the past 45 minutes and the floodgates to the underground storm water drains at two major cross sections had developed some malfunction.

I send an SOS to the air cab for an emergency pick up going down the elevator. ”Imran, prepare the outdoor team for emergency repair work”. I look at my watch, its almost 19:45. Within 10 minutes i reach the headoffice for RAIN WATER DRAIN MANAGEMENT (RWDM).

Imran is waiting for me in the Operations center. “Whats the latest, i enquire impatiently?” “Repetitve remote signals to the floodgates at Highway and KPT flyover, have failed”- goes Imran. “The one at Nazimabad underpass started working after it was sent a shutdown command”. “Great”, i exclaimed. “But what about the other two, the water is nearing the threshold”. Alarms signalling of the imminent overload pierce through the centre. “Two separate teams have been dispatched to the problem areas”, explained Imran.

With the rain continuing to pour down, its almost half past eight now and the alarms still buzzing. Suddenly one of the problem area turned green on the RWDM , network map. Wow! I said. one up , one to two. Within the next 5 minutes both Highway and KPT floodgates started functioning. “Imran, keep a lookout for any further malfunctions and keep me informed’

Soon the rain stopped and I decided to get back home. On my way back home i remembered it was my Son’s graduation day the following day. And i wondered time really flies, just as we do everyday.

No comments: